This charcoal grilled zucchini and bell pepper salad is a summer must! another fun and healthy way to make zucchini tasty and delicious! Serve it with chicken BBQ, steak, or pan-fried turkey breast.
Real talk, how many of you find zucchini just plain gross? Well, I have to admit I was never a fan of zucchini, even the salted fried zucchini chips that my mum used to make us for lunch it just tastes like a weird cucumber to me. Zucchini has a bland, neutral taste, and the texture is just not that great which is the reason why many people dislike eating it.
However, zucchini is a superfood. It’s a nutrient-dense food that’s packed with a generous amount of vitamins and minerals. This summer squash also serves a significant amount of fiber and water, which explains its watery and mushy texture.
While you can find thousands of recipes on how to make zucchini enjoyable to eat, my go-to method is to drizzle some olive oil on chopped zucchini and throw it on the grill. it’s simple, easy, and a quick way to make zucchini taste just fine!
That’s why this zucchini salad is a summer favorite! Peered with grilled red bell pepper, tomatoes, and green onion, this makes the perfect blend of fresh and grilled veggies that’s healthy and delicious!
What can I serve with this grilled zucchini salad?
This salad can pass for a side dish or main dish. But if you wish to serve it as a side dish and you are already veggie grilling, then it’s a good idea to throw in some seasoned chicken breast or steak on the grill. I personally love serving this with my marinated turkey breast cutlets recipe and I just grill it instead of pan fry it. If you wish for a vegan option, seasoned grilled eggplant will be a good peer along with hummus and grilled corn.
What you need for grilling.
For grilled ingredients, you will need two medium zucchini heads, two medium red bell pepper, olive oil, and finally, and most importantly charcoal for grilling!
What can I use to grill zucchini?
You can either use charcoal or gas for grilling. However, charcoal gives a rich, smoky, and earthy taste to anything grilled on it so I personally prefer using charcoal. If you are using gas, make sure you preheat for 15 minutes and then grill zucchini on low to medium heat. Charcoal will take you 20 minutes to spread the heat and be ready for use. Make sure to use a grill basket, this will prevent zucchini from falling down into the grill.
Need more grilling tips? Check out this grilling tips guide!
Can I use yellow or orange bell pepper instead of red pepper?
Sure! you can either use red, yellow, or orange or even a combination of all of them!
What type of zucchini can I use for this recipe?
Both grey and green zucchini can pass for this salad recipe. I personally used grey zucchini, but you can use the green one if you wish to.
Is this zucchini salad vegetarian and low carbs?
Yes. This salad recipe is vegetarian and low-carb.
Grilled Zucchini and Bell Pepper Salad
- 2 Zucchinis Medium-sized, sliced into round coins
- 2 Red bell pepper heads Medium-sized, cut into quarters
- 1 Tomato medium-sized, cut into wedges
- 4 leaves of lettuce chopped.
- 1 green onion small-sized, minced
- 2 tbsp parsley freshly minced
- 1 tbsp cilantro freshly minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Olive oil For drizzling
- Get your griller hot and ready, drizzle zucchini coins with a little bit of olive oil, toss everything until well coated and place the coins separately in a grilling basket.
- Grill on each side for approximately 2 minutes. Check the sides every 50 seconds to avoid possible burning. They should be ready when they are slightly charred and soft, test with a fork for softness.
- Transfer the zucchini coins to a plate and lightly salt it. Set aside for later.
- Grill pepper quarters after placing them in a grilling basket (preferably). Grill on each side for 3 to 4 minutes or until they soften and get slightly charred.
- Remove charred skin off the pepper and clean off any remains with water if necessary (make sure to drain from excess water before using it in the salad).
- After removing the skin off completely, chop the quarters into three medium sizes.
- In a mixing bowl, place chopped tomatoes, lettuce, parsley, cilantro, minced onion, and chopped red pepper. Set aside for later.
Prepare the dressing
- In a cup, place olive oil, fresh lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Wisk until you reach a thick consistency.
- Add the dressing to the mixing bowl along with other ingredients and toss everything until well coated.
- Transfer the salad to a serving plate. Place grilled zucchini coins on top and drizzle with some shredded Edam cheese or parmesan cheese. Serve immediately!