This Healthy Mediterranean Lentil salad makes the perfect side salad, main dish or a make ahead salad for your meal prep meals! Packed with protein, plant based, super filling, and it tastes absolutely delicious!
We are still on the summer salads game and I can’t lie I can’t get enough! Today’s salad is a warm yet refreshing salad that can pass for both, summer and winter! This Mediterranean lentil salad is a delicious combination of lightly sauteed onion, grilled sweet green pepper, lentils, and a handful of freshly minced herbs. Super easy to make and it can take a few minutes if you prepared boiled lentils in advance.
What I love about this healthy lentil salad is it’s meal prep friendly and you can store it in the fridge for days. All you have to do is throw it in an airtight jar and it’s ready to go! Perfect for a grab and go lunch, and make-ahead work lunch.
What you need to make this Mediterranean Lentil salad
For this recipe, all you need is a handful of whole, fresh, and affordable ingredients you can find any time in your kitchen! You can use any kind of lentils. For this recipe, I used regular brown lentils. Green lentils will make a great salad as well as they tend to stay firm during boiling.
- sweet green pepper
- Minced garlic
- olive oil
- lemon juice
How to make Mediterranean Lentil Salad
- If you didn’t boil the lentils in advance, you can soak them for at least an hour, prepare boiled water, add the lentils to a large saucepot and cover completely with boiled water.
- Cook for 30 minutes
- Drain from excess water and set aside to cool down.
- Take pepper quarters and grill on both sides using the stove or a griddle. Grill on both sides until charred.
- Place grilled pepper in a plastic bag, cover completely, and set aside. This will help you to remove the skin off easily.
- Preheat a pan and sautée diced onion with a drizzle of olive oil. Saute until soft and cooked and set aside.
- The next thing is you want to skin the green pepper from charred skin by scrubbing off the skin with a knife. Remove any remains with water.
- After you’ve skinned the pepper, dice it into medium sizes and it’s ready for use.
- In a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients: Lentils, sauteed onion, grilled pepper, diced tomato, diced cucumber, cilantro, and parsley.
- Add the dressing ingredients to a mini jar or mixing bowl. Whisk or shake very well until you achieve a thick consistency.
- Add the dressing to the salad ingredients, toss everything together until well coated.
- Serve in your favorite serving plate or salad bowl and bon appétit!
The best way to cook lentils on the stove.
Lentils don’t take too long to cook compared to other beans. It takes approximately 30 minutes for regular lentils to cook on low heat.
To ensure the lentils to cook well soak them in water for at least an hour before cooking. You don’t need to soak lentils overnight but it surely helps with faster cooking as well as reducing complex sugars that might cause digesting issues for some people.
Drain lentils from excess water and transfer to a saucepan. Cover with a generous amount of boiled water, bring the water to a simmer then reduce the heat. Let it cook for 20 to 30 minutes. Add water if needed.
After 30 minutes, test lentils using a fork, if they’re cooked they should be soft and not crunchy! Drain from excess water, cool down, and store for later.
Pro tips: DO NOT salt the lentils while cooking! this may prevent them from cooking completely. You can salt them after they are done.
How to store this salad
This is the most meal prep friendly salad ever! and you can store it for days without any problem as it doesn’t have ingredients that could potentially go bad quickly. You can store in an airtight jar or container in the fridge for up to 6 days. It’s best to consume it within four days.
What kind of lentils I can use?
Any type of lentils will work just fine depending on your preference. For this recipe, I used regular brown lentils. If you don’t like your lentils to be mushy, especially if you want to use them for salads, green and brown lentils are the best choice as they tend to stay firm without getting mushy when cooked.
Can I substitute Harissa with Hot sauce?
You can definitely substitute Harissa with hot sauce or chilly paste. Chili paste will be a good substitute as it is the closest to Harissa.
Other salad recipes you may want to try:
- Mediterranean Tuna & Barley Salad
- Grilled Zucchini and Bell Pepper Summer Salad
- Peach and Cucumber Salad
- Cooked Beets Garden Salad
- Tuna and Chickpeas Salad
Healthy Mediterranean Lentil Salad
- 1 cup of raw uncooked lentils soaked in water in advance
- 1 small sized onion diced
- 1 green sweet pepper cut into quarters
- 1 tomato rip, diced
- 1 medium sized cucumber peeled, diced
- 1 tbsp parsley fresh, minced
- 1 tbsp cilantro fresh, minced
- 1 tsp Moroccan Harrisa
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- Garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Place pre-soaked lentils in a large saucepot and fill in with boiled water until you cover the lentils completly Cook for 30 minutes or until the lentils are slightly mushy but with good form. Add water if needed during cooking.
- Drain the lentils from any excess water and set aside to cool down.
- Bring your green pepper quarters and grill them on the stove or in the oven until it’s charred. Place in a plastic bag and cover well and set aside. This will help with removing the charred skin off.
- Preheat a pan, and sautée diced onion in a little bit of olive oil. Saute until soft and slightly caramelized and set aside.
- Skin off the pepper completely and remove any charred remains with water.
- After you’ve removed charred skin from the pepper, chop into thin steaks and dice into medium sizes.
- In a mixing bowl, add lentils, sauteed onion, grilled pepper, diced tomatoes, diced cucumber, parsley, and cilantro.
- Add lemon juice, olive oil, harissa, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin in a mini bowl or a mixing jar. Mix everything well until thick and add the dressing to the rest of the ingredients.
- Toss everything together until well coated and combined.
- Serve in your favorite serving plate or salad bowl.