It surprises me that every time I search for a nut recipe all I find is salted roasted nuts and nut butter. Nuts are super enjoyable to eat and they are packed with good fats and protein, I believe there are much more fun ways to consume nuts other than turning them into butter or roasting them. For this reason, I decided to recreate this super delicious recipe that was inspired by the cuisine of my culture.
If you are a nut butter enthusiast then you should definitely try out this semi sweet Moroccan almond dip! This dip is also known as “Amlu” or “Amlou”in Morocco. Amlou is a Moroccan side dish usually served for breakfast or afternoon tea. The original recipe consists primarily of roasted almonds, Argan oil and honey. There are also other recipes that add peanuts and olive oil as an addition and a flavour boost .
Every Moroccan household will have this in their afternoon family gathering with Mint tea, Moroccan pancakes and flatbread. What I love about this recipe is it’s rich with healthy fats and it’s super tasty with only three ingredients. You can have this on a toast or serve it as a side dish with your favourite bread sticks or nut/seeds crackers. You can also use this recipe as a salad dressing if you want that nutty touch to your salad.
NOTE: As I mentioned before, the original recipe is made with Argan oil. However, you can use olive oil instead of Argan oil or use them both! and trust me using olive oil alone will not leave a strong olive flavor as you may assume. You can also use toasted peanuts along with almonds.
Moroccan Almond Dip (Amlou)
- 3 cups of raw almonds
- 1 cup of Argan oil or olive oil
- 1/2 cup of raw organic honey
- A pinch of salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Put the almonds on a large baking sheet and toast for ten minutes while stirring in between.
- Let the almonds cool a bit for three minutes then transfer them to a food processor and blend on high speed with pausing to scrub the sides if needed. Blend until the consistency is smooth and creamy. Note that this will take some time and patience in order to achieve the required consistency.
- Transfer the almond butter to a mixing bowl and add Argan oil, raw honey, and salt. Mix the ingredients preferably with a spatula until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Store the almond dip in your favorite jar or serve immediately.