Moroccan style spiced chicken skewers baked in the oven and they taste just like grilled ones! Super delicious, healthy, and quick to prepare! You can serve with a side salad like this peach and cucumber summer salad or grilled zucchini and bell pepper salad
It’s grilling season! and what’s better than serving grilled chicken kebab with fresh cold cocktails on a hot sunny day. Last time I shared with you how to make charcoal grilled zucchini and pepper salad but I thought that not everyone has access to an outdoor grill. In this case, the oven is your best friend!
Of course, outdoor grilling is so much fun, but if you are living in a limited space you may want to look for other options. These oven baked chicken skewers taste just like grilled ones! Healthy, spicy, smokey, crispy on the outside and tender on the inside! You don’t have to marinate them before cooking so all you need to do is just prepare diced chicken breast, minced onion, and minced parsley and cilantro in advance!
Sticking to a healthy diet doesn’t mean you have to eat bland food all the time. I always make sure to spice the hell out of my food, and my Moroccan self would absolutely refuse spice-less food. For this recipe I used Moroccan spice mix which consists of: Paprika, cumin, cinnamon, dry ginger, turmeric, and pepper. Along with Moroccan Harissa and ground dry thyme.
If you don’t have Harissa, you can use chilli paste or hot sauce.
What you need to make chicken skewers spice sauce.
For the sauce, you will need:
- Ginger powder
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
How to make Oven baked chicken skewers.
The first step is you want to prepare diced skinless, boneless chicken breast in advance, along with minced onion, freshly minced parsley and cilantro, and ground dried thyme.
Start by mixing spices with olive oil and lemon juice in a mini bowl.
Add chicken breast cubes to a mixing bowl along with spice sauce, parsley and cilantro, minced onion, Harissa, and thyme.
Toss everything together until well combined.
Thread on metal skewers, place them on a baking sheet using parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes on medium heat, then adjust the heat to 350° degrees and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until the chicken skewers are golden brown and slightly charred.
How long I need to cook chicken skewers in the oven?
Cooking duration in the oven can be between 20 minutes up to 35 minutes depending on your oven. For this reason, It’s always a good idea to constantly check. They should be ready if they look golden and slightly charred.
How to grill chicken skewers in the oven.
The key to cooking chicken skewers in the oven and make them taste and look just like grilled ones is heat! First, you need to preheat the oven to its highest temperature for at least 15 minutes before using the oven. Then you want to make sure that the oven is hot and well heated. Place your chicken skewers in the middle rack of the oven and lower the heat to 250° or medium heat according to your oven. Cook for 15 minutes before adjusting to the highest temperature and cook for an additional 20 minutes on high heat or until the chicken skewers look golden brown and slightly charred. If you are concerned about your oven possibly shutting down due to the high temperature you may want to keep the oven door slightly open to allow airflow and prevent high temperature.
Can I use wooden skewers instead of metal skewers?
You definitely can! Just make sure to soak them in cold water before using them to prevent possible burning. Another tip is you can cover the ends with aluminum foil to avoid the charred ends.
What can I serve with this recipe?
You can serve these chicken kebabs with a fresh summer side salad or a healthy dipping sauce, check out the following recipes for more serving ideas:
Oven Baked Chicken Skewers
- 400 grams chicken breast diced, skinless, boneless
- 1 small sized onion minced
- 2 tbsp parsley freshly minced
- 1 tbsp cilantro freshly minced
- 1 tsp dry thyme ground
- 1 tsp Harissa
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° degrees.
- In a mini bowl, add all the spices with salt, olive oil and lemon juice. Mix very well until you reach a well combined consistency.
- In a large mixing bowl, add diced chicken breast cubes and spice sauce. Mix until well coated then add minced onion, parsley and cilantro, ground dry thyme, and harissa.
- toss everything until well combined and set aside.
- Bring a large baking sheet and coverup with parchment paper.
- Using metal skewers, thread the chicken cubes and place them on the baking sheet leaving a slight space between each skewer. If you have leftover onion and seasoning, pour it on top of the chicken skewers.
- bake for 15 minutes on medium heat then adjust the oven to its highest temperature and cook for up to 20 minutes or until there is no moisture left and the chicken skewers are golden brown and slightly charred.
- Serve immediately with a side salad or a healthy dipping sauce.